The Iditarod, Alaska's best-known sporting event, is the focus of this fabulous Alaska winter tour. Meet four-time Iditarod Champion Martin Buser at his kennels-a special experience arranged by Globus-and visit the Iditarod Headquarters, where you'll see photos, videos, and mementos of the Iditarod race. Another out-of-the-ordinary adventure included by Globus is dinner and Iditarod festivities at the Musher's Banquet, where you'll see the musher's draw for starting position in the race and perhaps meet them for photos and autographs. Witness the ceremonial start of the race in Anchorage and the official restart of the race in Willow, where you can cheer on your favorite mushers as they head off into Alaska's wilderness on this 1,049-mile journey to the finish line in Nome. You'll also spend time in Anchorage and at the luxurious Hotel Alyeska, located in the ski resort community of Girdwood. Here, you can enjoy a variety of activities, including skiing, snowshoeing, riding an aerial tram for breathtaking views, or simply relaxing at the hotel's spa. For a chance to see grizzly and black bears, moose, and caribou up close, you'll visit the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. At the Alaska Sealife Center, get an in-depth look above and below Alaska's waters. If you desire to see the Iditarod, this Alaska winter tour is an adventure not to be missed.
Call (607) 734-4131 for more information or to book today! Mention code 13596216
- Tour Operator
- Offer valid through 12/31/2017
- 8 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Anchorage||Welcome to Anchorage, nicknamed the 'City of Lights.' Spend time relaxing today and getting to know this fascinating city at your leisure.|
|Day 2||Girdwood||This morning, meet your Tour Director and traveling companions at a welcome breakfast. Then, board your motorcoach and make one of the world's great drives as you travel along spectacularly scenic Turnagain Arm. Marvel at the dramatic views, and keep your eyes open for Dall sheep, eagles, and other wildlife. Take a break at the ALASKA WILDLIFE CONSERVATION CENTER for the chance to see grizzly and black bears, moose, musk ox, caribou, lynx, and even a porcupine up close. In coastal Seward, visit the ALASKA SEALIFE CENTER for an in-depth look above and below the waters of Alaska. Arrive in the ski resort community of Girdwood, where you'll spend the next two nights at the luxurious Hotel Alyeska. (B,L)|
|Day 3||Girdwood||Enjoy a full day at leisure-perfect for joining in a wide variety of optional activities. Consider dogsledding, flightseeing, skiing, snowshoeing, or you may choose to just relax at the hotel's spa. An included aerial TRAM ride offers breathtaking panoramas of Turnagain Arm and seven glaciers. (B)|
|Day 4||Anchorage||Return to Anchorage and join an included tour through the historic downtown district and to Lake Hood, the world's busiest seaplane base. Next, visit the ALASKA ZOO for a behind-the-scenes tour. This afternoon, there is time to explore Anchorage on your own. You may want to visit the Anchorage Museum. Tonight, enjoy Iditarod festivities and dinner at the [LF] MUSHER'S BANQUET. Enjoy Alaska entertainment, see the mushers draw for starting positions, and have the opportunity to meet them for photos and autographs. (B,D)|
|Day 5||Anchorage||Travel north to Big Lake and visit the home of four-time Iditarod Champion Martin Buser at his [LF] HAPPY TRAILS KENNELS. Hear his fascinating personal stories, including how his sons are named after Iditarod checkpoints, while viewing the grandeur Alaska has to offer along the Iditarod Trail. Then, visit IDITAROD HEADQUARTERS to view pictures, videos, and other mementos of the Last Great Race. This evening is at leisure back in Anchorage. Maybe shop for souvenirs, try some fresh seafood, or sample a locally made brew. (B)|
|Day 6||Anchorage||This morning, head to 4th Avenue to get a great spot for the ceremonial start of the IDITAROD. Before the race starts, there's a chance for photos and autographs with some of the mushers. Spend time cheering on mushers from all over the world, and enjoy other Iditarod festivities. Later, visit the ALASKA NATIVE HERITAGE CENTER, which shares the rich heritage of Alaska's 11 indigenous cultural groups. Tonight, reminisce over your Alaska winter adventure at a farewell dinner. (B,D)|
|Day 7||Anchorage||Travel north today to the quaint community of Willow, which started as a mining camp when gold was discovered in 1897. Here, you'll view the official RESTART of the Iditarod. Cheer your favorite musher as they head off into the Alaska wilderness on this 1,049-mile journey to Nome and the finish line. Be sure to have your camera ready for this once-in-a-lifetime experience. (B)NOTE: In the event the Iditarod Official Start is relocated (beyond Willow) due to weather and trail conditions, a full day of activities will be substituted in Anchorage.|
|Day 8||Anchorage||Your tour ends this morning with guests departing on independent schedules. Transfers are provided to Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport. (B)|
- US$ Price Details
Gratuities for Tour Director and driver are available for pre-purchase.Prices are per person, based on double room occupancy.Single Room Supplement:$715Triple Room Reduction per person: $165Extra Nights per person in Anchorage:in single room $211; in twin room $126; in triple room $1062019 prices and itineraries are subject to change. Details will be available in September 2018.
Travel Terms & Conditions
The purchase of any travel services offered by Globus, constitutes a contractual arrangement between you (the Traveler) and Globus, and represents your acceptance of the Terms & Conditions. Please ensure that you read carefully and understand the Terms & Conditions prior to booking. These Terms & Conditions cover Deposit & Final Payment information, Air-Inclusive Deposits & Final Payment, Revisions & Revision Fees, Air Arrangements, Participation, Travelers Who Need Special Assistance, Young Travelers, Smoking, Price Policy, Visas and Passports, Hotels & Accommodations, Baggage Allowance, Travel Documents, Not Included in the Land Price, Refunds, Service Inquires After the Vacation, Holidays, Safety, Photos & Pictures, Optional Excursions, and Responsibility.
- Vacation departures, itineraries and prices are subject to change.
- A non-refundable, non-transferable deposit is required for Globus to reserve space for you. View Terms & Conditions for limited exceptions.
- The following charges are not included in the land vacation price unless otherwise noted: airfare to and from the start of your vacation; Intra-vacation air unless specified in the itinerary; airline baggage fees including checked and/or excess baggage fees; Federal inspection fees for the Federal U.S. Customs and Immigrations; International Air Transportation tax; agricultural tax; other per person taxes imposed by government entities; airport taxes and fees including the September 11th Security fee up to $11.20 per person, passenger facility charges up to $18 per person, Federal domestic flight segment fees up to $4.00 per segment, and U.S. and International arrival and departure and other government-imposed added by the airline and applicable at time of booking; port taxes; passports; visas (except on Cuba programs) and vaccinations; tips to your Tour or Cruise Director, Globus Group Leader in Cuba, Local Host, driver, Local Guides, and/or ship's crew; gratuities on ferries, trains, and cruise ships; laundry; telephone; minibar; alcohol, beverages, and food outside of the contracted Globus menu as presented at a hotel or restaurant or onboard your vessel (these extra items will be billed to you before leaving the hotel, ship, or restaurant); airport transfers on non-qualifying flights; optional excursions; additional activities and excursions purchased online; porterage at airports and train stations; Travel Protection; and all other items of a personal nature.
Booking your Vacation with Air
For air departure dates within 331 days, you'll be offered a choice of carriers and flight schedules as well as price points to choose from when selecting your flights. Your schedule will be provided to you at the time of booking (schedules are subject to change by carriers). Globus offers 2 air options: Flex Air and Instant Purchase Air. Flex Air allows flexibility if you want to make changes to your vacation schedule. Instant Purchase Air may offer additional airline options but has more restrictions. Some vacations may only offer one Air type option. Guaranteed air-inclusive prices: air is only available to passengers traveling from the United States and only available when booked in conjunction with a land vacation. An additional $300 per person non-refundable air deposit is required for Flex Air booked in conjunction with any land vacation (i.e. air-inclusive vacation). Air can only be booked by Globus in conjunction with a vacation package. Instant Purchase Air requires air payment in full at time of booking (i.e. air-inclusive vacation) plus non-refundable per person service fee ($30 for North/Central America, $50 for Europe/Middle East and $80 for all other destinations. Once booked, Instant Purchase Air is non-refundable, and non-changeable. Some vacations may only offer one Air type option. However, once your airfare is confirmed and Globus has received your full air and land deposit, your air-inclusive vacation price is guaranteed.
Air-Inclusive Vacations - Applicable Taxes & Fees
Air-inclusive vacations include government-imposed taxes and fees applicable at the time of booking and will be shown as a Total Amount. Additional airline fees for baggage may apply. At the time of booking your air-inclusive vacation online, carrier Websites will be provided to check baggage fees, or you can visit www.iflybags.com for up-to-date baggage pricing/restrictions. For return travel from some countries, international travelers are required to pay entry and/or exit fees at the airport. These fees will be collected by the local government and are payable by the traveler at time of travel. Your confirmation booking information will contain information about these fees.
* The "Starting at" or listed price is based on the lowest price available to book. Price is per passenger based on double occupancy and does not include airfare; additional fees/charges are not included. If a price is crossed out, the new price shown includes a limited time promotional offer(s) - please review current promotions or deals for additional information. Some tours require intra-vacation flights (and in some cases intra-vacation segments must be purchased from Globus).